Red Cross Classes
Lifeguarding Instructor/Instructor Trainer Review Course
Friday, April 26 from 10am to 6pm
This in-person Instructor/Instructor Trainer review course is the required course for all Lifeguarding Instructors and Instructor Trainers to re-certify. During this course, Lifeguarding Instructors and Instructor Trainers will participate in an in-water practice and polish skills session with their peers and a classroom-based review of Red Cross administrative policies and procedures. Lifeguarding Instructors and ITs may also choose to attend a brief “test out” session following this course to gain a basic-level Lifeguarding certification. Course records for the basic-level Lifeguarding certification should be submitted electronically, as a separate course record at redcross.org/courserecords.
Lifeguard Instructor Full Course
Trains lifeguarding instructor candidates to teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Lifeguarding Blended Learning, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, Waterpark Skills, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Bloodborne Pathogens Training. Note: To teach Waterfront Skills, Lifeguarding instructors must possess a basic-level Waterfront Skills certificate Prerequisites: Minimum age: 17 years, Possess a current Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, An equivalent certificate from another organization, Complete the Online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course and complete the pre-course session.
Blended Learning Lifeguard Training Classes
These are blended learning classes which combine online learning with on-site skills sessions where you will practice skills and demonstrate competency. Completion of all online materials prior to each class and attendance at all sessions is mandatory when registered for a full course. For Review course participants, plan to complete the initial online lessons of your training at least two days prior to your first on-site skills session.
Fees: Member $351 • Guest $401
Sunday, May 5 • Prerequisite swim test –meet 1:30-3:30pm at the pool
Mondays, May 6, 13, & 20 • 5:45pm – 10pm
Wednesdays, May 8, 15, & 22 • 5:45pm – 10pm
- Must be 15 yrs old by the last scheduled date of the course.
- Pre-skills (for both full and review classes):
- Continuously swim 300 yds. demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 lb. object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates cannot swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Blended Learning Lifeguard Review Classes
This class is for lifeguard with a CURRENT Lifeguard Certification. Please bring proof of certification to the first day of class. To allow all participants time to register with the Red Cross and complete the online session prior to the first day of their class.
Must bring completed online progress report, current certifications, and pocket mask.
Fees: Member $156 • Guest $181
Sunday, May 5th • Prerequisite swim test –meet 1:30-3:30pm at the pool (Must bring current certifications)
Saturdays, May 11 and 18 • 1-6pm
Sunday, May 19 • 1-6pm