The Aquatics Department at JCC MetroWest in West Orange, NJ is searching for part-time Lifeguards. Reporting to the Aquatics Manager, lifeguards maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, on deck, and in the surrounding areas and create a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with JCC policies and procedures.
Be identifiable with red Lifeguard shirt, whistle, swimsuit and has the rescue tube with them. The Rescue tube must be properly worn, with the strap on the shoulder and holding it in front of the body.
- Actively apply and enforce all pool rules and proactively address members to maintain a safe environment.
- Knows, understands, and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintain constant surveillance of the pool area. This includes standing at the edge of the pool or using the elevated lifeguard chair, actively looking at the water and swimmers, staying alert and scanning from one end of the pool to the other by moving their head side to side every 10 seconds.
- Minimize all distractions that may interfere with effective scanning, such as not engaging in extended conversations with other staff or members.
- Move to another area when multiple lifeguards are on duty to ensure appropriate zone coverage of the pool.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations, including water rescue, immediately in accordance with emergency action plan and provide first aid care when needed.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
- Perform equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving and throughout shift.
- Attend all staff meetings and training as required.
- Mandatory attendance for in-services and rescue drills. In-Service meeting will be scheduled in advance. Rescue drills may or may not be scheduled without prior notice.
- Responsible for cleaning pool area according to COVID protocols.
- Certifications: Current American Red Cross Lifeguard CPR/AED/First Aid
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness. Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with JCC standards.
COMPENSATION: $17 per hour
Interested applicants should submit resume to [email protected].
All applicants for employment shall be considered without regard to race, religion, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
JCC MetroWest has been at the center of our community for 142 years, bringing people together while providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs. Here at the J, we take every precaution to keep our community safe and healthy, as well as warm, inclusive, and welcoming.