NJJFF Spotlight: Where Life BeginsMarch 16 @ 7:00 pm
- This event has passed.
March 16 @ 7:00 pm
NJJFF Spotlight: Where Life Begins
IN-PERSON: Thursday, March 16 • 7 PM
A pre-show reception with appetizers will begin at 6:15 PM
Director: Stéphane Freiss
2022, 99 minutes
A Haredi rabbi and his family from Aix-les-Bains, France, travel to a farm in Calabria, Italy, every year to carry out a sacred mission: harvesting etrogs (citrons) for the holiday of Sukkot. Elio, the farm’s restless owner, meets Esther, the rabbi’s daughter, who is beginning to feel constrained by the rules and expectations of her religious tradition. Through their tentative friendship, Esther and Elio find peace, companionship, and a sense of direction for their futures. This gentle drama depicts Haredi life accurately and respectfully and makes gorgeous use of its bucolic Italian setting (a refreshing change of scenery from wintry New Jersey).
This film is brought to you by: Joni & Alan Cohen
Festival programs are subject to change/cancellation. Please check our schedule at jccmetrowest.org/njjff for the most up-to-date information.
- Regular festival films – $15/ticket
- Special event films – $18/ticket (noted in schedule)
- FREE for NJJFF Sponsors and All-Access Pass holders
Advance registration preferred. Limited tickets sold at the door. No refunds or exchanges.
- Films are not rated and may contain violence, sexual content, and/or explicit language. Parental discretion is advised.
- All films with dialogue in a language other than English are presented with English subtitles.
HOW TO VIEW VIRTUALLY:
- Available films and their regions of availability are noted in the schedule
- Virtual films will be available on the Elevent platform and priced at $18/view.
- Download Elevent application to your Roku, Amazon Fire, or Apple TV
- Watch with Chromecast or Airplay OR
- Stream films directly on your computer
More information and detailed directions can be found at jccmetrowest.org/njjff.
Maurice Levin Theater
760 Northfield Avenue
West Orange, New Jersey
Sponsor seating will begin 30 minutes prior to all screenings. General admission ticket holders will be admitted 20 minutes prior to all screenings. In the event of a sell-out, a waiting list will be created.