NJJFF: Four Winters: A Story of Jewish Partisan Resistance and Bravery in WWIIMarch 23 @ 7:00 pm
- This event has passed.
March 23 @ 7:00 pm
NJJFF: Four Winters: A Story of Jewish Partisan Resistance and Bravery in WWII
IN-PERSON: Thursday, March 23 • 7 PM
POST FILM: Reading of partisan poetry
Director: Julia Mintz
2022, 90 minutes
Over 25,000 Jewish partisans fought the Nazis and their collaborators from deep within the forests of Eastern Europe. Against extraordinary odds, they escaped Nazi slaughter, transforming from young innocents to courageous resistance fighters. Many survived the forests to start families and lead full lives in peace. This documentary shatters the myth of Jewish passivity, recounting the stories of eight surviving Jewish partisans using their testimonial interviews, Faye Schulman’s improbable photographs of partisan life, and gripping archival footage. Four Winters tells a story of stunning heroism and resilience from the urgent perspective of elders who see the contemporary resurgence of hatred and violence with clear-eyed alarm.
The film will be followed by a short program of poetry written by Fruma Gulkowich Berger, a partisan with the Bielski Brigade, and read by members of her family.
This film is brought to you by: Sylvia Steiner
Festival programs are subject to change/cancellation. Please check our schedule at jccmetrowest.org/njjff for the most up-to-date information.
- Regular festival films – $15/ticket
- Special event films – $18/ticket (noted in schedule)
- FREE for NJJFF Sponsors and All-Access Pass holders
Advance registration preferred. Limited tickets sold at the door. No refunds or exchanges.
- Films are not rated and may contain violence, sexual content, and/or explicit language. Parental discretion is advised.
- All films with dialogue in a language other than English are presented with English subtitles.
HOW TO VIEW VIRTUALLY:
- Available films and their regions of availability are noted in the schedule
- Virtual films will be available on the Elevent platform and priced at $18/view.
- Download Elevent application to your Roku, Amazon Fire, or Apple TV
- Watch with Chromecast or Airplay OR
- Stream films directly on your computer
More information and detailed directions can be found at jccmetrowest.org/njjff.
Maurice Levin Theater
760 Northfield Avenue
West Orange, New Jersey
Sponsor seating will begin 30 minutes prior to all screenings. General admission ticket holders will be admitted 20 minutes prior to all screenings. In the event of a sell-out, a waiting list will be created.